I stumbled across this recipe a few months ago when trying to find a way to make a fun non-alcoholic drink. Surprisingly, I actually really enjoyed this one. Here’s what you need to make a non-alcoholic Mexican Horchata!
1 cup of white rice
5 cups of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup of sugar
3 cups of milk (of your choice)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1. Pour your rice and two cups of water into a blender and blend until the rice starts to break apart, around 2 minutes. Then add the remaining three cups of water and continue to blend for another minute.
2. Let the mixture sit (covered) on a counter four a few hours. I let mine stay out for around 5 hours.
3. Strain the mixture into a pitcher and add in the cinnamon sticks, sugar, vanilla and milk and stir.
4. Cover the pitcher and put it in the refrigerator for a few hours. I forgot that I made it so it stayed in there over night (around 14 hours). So….. yeah. However long you want I guess or until you are ready to drink it!
5. Once you are ready to drink, pour the Horchata over ice and you are done!